Plaza Mayor, 1 41640 Osuna, Sevilla Telephone: 954-815-851 www.osuna.es
About the Area
The origins of the town stretch back to the year 1000 BC, as can be seen by the great number of remains from each historical period. Osuna got its name from the Turdetans, an Iberian tribute which called it Urso; several objects remain from this period, such as the "Bull of Osuna" and the "Relief’s of Osuna" (these latter showing a Roman Influence).
The Sierras of Las Viñas, this enchanting countryside is very reminiscent of Tuscany and in the late 1800’s, probably even more so when grapevines were cultivated all over these hills, originally brought here by the Romans, hence the area is still known as Las Viñas. It was the blight that swept Europe around this time that wiped out all of the vines here and today we now have olive groves where vineyards used to be.