Plaza Mayor, 1 41640 Osuna, Sevilla Telephone: 954-815-851 www.osuna.es
About the Area
The origins of the town stretch back to the year 1000 BC, as can be seen by the great number of remains from each historical period. Osuna got its name from the Turdetans, an Iberian tribute which called it Urso; several objects remain from this period, such as the "Bull of Osuna" and the "Relief’s of Osuna" (these latter showing a Roman Influence).
In 1460, while the Master of the Order was Pedro Giron, the town was traded for Fuenteovejuna and Belmez, as a result of which it became the seat of the Counts of Ureña. In 1562 the 5th Count of Ureña was made 1st Duke of Osuna, and from then on Osuna became the Andalucían capital of the domains of the Tellez Giron family (shown).