The whitewashed hilltop town of Morón de la Frontera rises above the rolling patchwork plain of La Campiña like a mirage. This was once an important centre of a Moorish taifa (state) and named after the place of the Moors.
On the border of Cadiz and Seville provinces, Morón de la Frontera was in an important defensive position and its castle was one of the most important in the area. Later it became home to the nobility, when the duchy of Osuna made it a residence and adorned it with marble fittings and artesanado coffered ceilings. The castle was almost destroyed by the French in 1812.