Av. Santa Mª del Reposo, 4 29320 Campillos, Málaga Telephone: 952-722-168 www.campillos.es
About the Area
This peaceful little town of less than 9,000 inhabitants, equidistant between the Costa del Sol, Granada and Sevilla, has been an important cattle farming, leather production and mining centre since Roman times. Archaeological digs in the vicinity have uncovered Roman architecture and coins, as well as brass busts of Octavius, Claudius, Constantine and Trajan. Nowadays, however, it is mainly known as one of the key stops on the Algeciras-Granada rail line.
It was considered sufficiently important to both Arabs and Christians to have been the subject of several fierce battles, notably in 1237 between the army of Mohamed Alhamar, Moorish king of Granada, and rebels from Campillos and nearby Loja. After the fall of Granada in 1492, it was rebuilt and resettled by farmers and coal workers from Osuna and Teba.