Plaza de la Victoria, S/N 29300 Archidona, Málaga Telephone: 952-714-061 www.archidona.es
About the Area
Archidona stands at the foot of the Pico del Conjuro mountain amidst olive groves and meadows, on the road that links Antequera with the province of Granada.
In 1238 it became a dependency of the Nazari Kingdom of Granada, and Archidona experienced its second boom, this time due largely to the silk trade. Before long, however, a new turn of events shattered the commercial links of the whole region: the 14th century saw the start of the Christian campaigns in the area, which became a border zone, its territory suffering frequent pillaging.
It was finally captured in 1462 by Don Pedro de Giron, Grand Master of Calatrava.